I’m going to say something that may be a little controversial for a frugal living/personal finance blogger.  I’m just not that into coupons.  Don’t get me wrong – coupons can save some people a lot of money.  Some families can load up two or three carts full of groceries that they just scored for just $10.  That’s great for them – any way to save money is okay by me.  However, it just does not work for me or my family.  I will use coupons from time to time to save a few dollars, but I’m far from an “extreme couponer” and here’s why:

Coupons just don’t save that much money.  At my local grocery stores, they don’t double coupons over a dollar.  In fact, they only double coupons on a few select days (maybe once a month?).  All this adds up to the fact that you really can’t save that much with coupons at my local stores.  Additionally, more often than not, store brand products are cheaper than the brand name even with the coupon.  I am not going to pay more for a certain product just to be able to use a coupon, so the coupon is likely to be trashed (along with the time it spent clipping it).  In the end, it’s just not worth it.

You can’t buy fresh and all-natural food with coupons.  Most coupons are for, let’s face it, junk food.  There are coupons for frozen pizza, TV dinners, pop-tarts, you name it – if it’s packaged and pricy, you can probably find a coupon for it.  You may find coupons for packaged organic food that’s somewhat healthy, but you’ll never find coupons on the foods that should be a main staple of your diet – like produce and all-natural grains like oatmeal and brown rice.  You might find a coupon for those packets of instant oatmeal loaded with artificial sweeteners, but you’ll never really find coupons for those big tubs of old fashioned oats that are oh-so-healthy (hint: it’s because they’re cheaper anyway – less incentive for the manufacturers to sell them).

Coupons clutter life and promote buying more and more stuff Two thousand tubes of toothpaste? Four hundred and fifty containers of laundry detergent?  Do you really need that much?  I’m here today to say no, no you do not.  Coupons take up time and make life more stressful.  And all they do is promote buying things you don’t really need.

Coupons can be a great strategy, for saving money at the food store, but you have to be careful.  Unless you were going to buy that item anyway, Buying things just because you have a coupon is a waste of money.  Always make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Tagged with:

10 Responses to Why I’m just not that into coupons

1. Rebecca says:

Phew! Comments are up and running again :)

2. Modest Money says:

I completely agree. A while back I wrote a post about why I’m on the fence about coupons. I do use some, but I am so far from being an extreme couponer too. I find it just wastes too much time and you do end up going for the more expensive brands. Instead I just pay more attention to which items are on sale when I go to the grocery store. I find that strategy saves far more money and wastes less time.

• Rebecca says:

Definitely! You can usually get items on sale for cheaper than you would have if you used a coupon for a more expensive item. I just makes more sense to shop for sales!

3. I wrote a similar post a while back, why I don’t use coupons. While I would respectfully disagree that they don’t save money (I actually was able to save a lot of money, even without the double coupons, etc…and get name brands for WAY less than the store brands)…I agree with your other reasons, and the end the savings just wasn’t worth it.

• Rebecca says:

Yes, I agree. Sometimes coupons can save you money, and I do use them from time to time. Coupons aren’t necessarily bad, they’re just not always worth it and you won’t really see the kind of savings like they show on TV. Thanks for posting!

4. Jean says:

I go back and forth with using coupons. I know they save me a little money when I do use them but I’m not sure the money I save really has the same value as the time I spend matching the deals and using them. I also often find myself frustrated with the coupons that require me to buy two of an item to save 50 cents when I only want one of those products.

• Rebecca says:

That’s so true! I hate when coupons require you to buy two of something. Not only does it dilute the savings, but what if you don’t end up using both items before their expiration date? Then you’re actually wasting money. Not worth it in my opinion.

5. Crystal says:

I do use coupons the ones that they print out for me at the register b/c they are always for something that is already in my cart so it’s something that I use anyway I like those. I bought some organic cheese the other day and the register gave me a coupon for $1 off the same cheese, no cliping no time and it’s something I use! Loved your reasons! for not using coupons. Just b/c it is cheep does not mean you need it!!

• Rebecca says:

That’s very true. I love the coupons the register prints out! Sometimes they give me $5 or $10 off your entire purchase (over a certain amount). It’s great because you can use it on anything at the store and you didn’t even have to do any coupon clipping!

6. [...] you haven’t guessed, I don’t like Black Friday. It’s kind of like my theory on coupons – you’re only going to be saving on things you don’t need. Then, I started [...]