I tried something new last night and I kind of love it.  As you know, I am all about natural-chemical free alternatives to store-bought cleansers.  I clean my floors with vinegar.  I clean pots and pans with baking soda.  So, when I heard about an all-natural facial cleanser, I was all for it.

For the past couple years (ever since I was pregnant, really), I’ve had issues with my face.  Nothing serious, but my skin just wasn’t the same as it used to be, you know?  I’ve bounced back and forth between a few different cleansers, but didn’t love any of them.

So, yesterday, I tried this homemade recipe:

All-natural facial cleanser

Ingredients:
2/3 part olive oil
1/3 part castor oil

Directions:
Combine in a bottle.  Apply to face in a circular motion for 30 seconds.  Cover face with a hot wash cloth for about a minute, then use the wash cloth to wipe off the oil.

That’s it!  My face feels super soft, moisturized and surprisingly clean.  It seems a little weird to be cleaning with oil, since that’s usually what you want to avoid on your face, but the olive and castor oils actually dissolve the bad oils that accumulate on your face, yet don’t strip away the good oils that your skin naturally produces. And you know what, it totally works!  From what I hear, it can actually improve the look of your skin.  Tsh at Simple Mom says it makes her skin softer and brighter.  Awesome!

So why in the world am I doing this?  Well, there are a few reasons.  The first is I’m tired of buying product after product and having them not work.  Second, it’s really good for the environment – less plastic waste, less chemical waste.  Third, it’s reducing my overall chemical exposure.  Oh, and it also saves money.  And if it improves the look of my skin?  Well, that’s like icing on the cake.

Now don’t get me wrong – I’ve only tried this for about a day and a half, so it might blow up in my face (pun intended), but I’ll keep you posted.

How about you?  Have you ever tried an all-natural beauty product alternative?  Would you ever incorporate olive and castor oil into your skincare routine?  Think I’m nuts?  Let me know!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

15 Responses to An all-natural facial cleanser

1. Veronica Lee says:

Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog!
    Have a nice day!

2. I have never tried anything like that! I definitely would though. Thanks for sharing!

3. Darlene says:

Intersting! Please do update and let us know if you still like it after a week or so. I have only found one product that doesn’t dry my skin, and it’s pricey Burt’s Bees orangy stuff that is pretty oily, so this combo might work for me too.

Thanks, you may have changed my life. :)

4. That is a really interesting alternative! I want to try it out.. just need to buy some castor oil. I’ve used olive oil as a hair oil, and it works great ! Plus is cheaper, and has less fillers and bad things than Moroccan oil.

• Rebecca says:

You should definitely try it out! I initially didn’t know where to find castor oil, but it’s right in the pharmacy/drugstore section of most stores.

5. Michelle says:

I hope it doesn’t blow up in your face :)

I need to try this!

6. I am definitely interested to know how this turns out. I want a chemical free face too. Also-if you could whip up a recipe for homemade make-up remover cloths that would save me about a million dollars per year.Thanks. :)

• Rebecca says:

This method actually cleans off makeup just as well as my old makeup remover (I think I forgot to mention that). But, I’m sure I can come up with a recipe for makeup remover cloths as well. I’ll get back to you :)

7. I’ve never tried anything like this. I wash my face with hand soap if I’m not in the shower. My wife gives me a hard time about it daily. I’m not sure why? :)

8. Amber says:

Actually, using castor oil as a cleanser is nothing new. The ancient Egyptians used it to cleanse their entire body. According to North Carolina State University, castor oil can also help to cleanse the skin of dead skin cells that are clogging the sebaceous glands. Rubbing castor oil on the facial skin helps to pull out impurities in the pores. This can help to decrease breakouts on the skin that can be caused by these clogged glands.