As you can probably tell by the recipes I post here, we eat a lot of chicken around here. I know I should mix it up more, but the little one is very picky and I know he likes chicken. Chicken is good for him (lean protein and all) and it’s relatively inexpensive. So, chicken it (usually) is. Though we do like to spice it up from time to time and that’s exactly what we did with this recice. It’s the perfect amount of spicy – not too hot, just a little kick.
It’s another crock pot one, so enjoy!
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
(Adapted from Fix it and Forget It Lightly)
3whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut in 1″ pieces (reserve 1/4 cup broth chicken was cooked in)
10 6″ flour tortillas, cut in strips about 1/2″ wide x 2″ long, divided
2 medium-sized onions, chopped
1 tsp. canola oil
10 3/4-oz. an fat-free cream of mushroom soup
2 4-oz. cans green chilies, chopped
1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
1. Pour reserved chicken broth in slow cooker sprayed with nonfat cooking spray.
2. Scatter half the tortilla strips in bottom of slow cooker.
3. Mix remaining ingredients together, except the second half of the tortilla strips and the cheese.
4. Layer half the chicken mixture into the cooker, followed by the other half of the tortillas, followed by the rest of the chicken mix.
5. Cover. Cook on low 4-6 hours or on high 3-5 hours.
6. Add cheese to top of dish during last 20-30 minutes of cooking.
Yields 8-10 servings
That’s it! What I love about this is that it’s very inexpensive. Check out this breakdown:
3 boneless chicken breasts – $3.50
10 6″ flour tortillas – $1.99 for a pack of 20 = $1
2 medium-sized onions – $3.99 for 5 lbs = $.79
1 tsp. canola oil – very minimal
10 3/4-oz. an fat-free cream of mushroom soup – $.99
2 4-oz. cans green chilies, chopped – $4
1 egg – 12 for $3 = $.25
1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, grated – 1 block of cheese for $3 = $1.50
Total $12.03 or $1.20 per serving
Not bad, right?
Hello! Welcome to the home of practical parenting tips that save you money. I'm Rebecca, the creative mind behind this site.
I am also a professional writer... and I'd be happy to work with you on your next project.
ContactFeel free to contact me at doggonethrifty [at] gmail [dot] com. I'd love to hear from you!