Did you watch the Super Bowl last night? Great game! Though I have to say, that Go Daddy commercial was kind of… weird. And Beyonce was just awesome.
Over the weekend, in addition to watching the Super Bowl, I made my very first apple pie with lattice topping. Yum! It made me think of how football is such an American thing to do – especially a tradition like the Super Bowl where we’re all glued to the TV, whether it’s to watch the game, the commercials or the halftime show – and so is apple pie!
My pie turned out pretty well if you can go by the fact that my husband and son gobbled it right up. I only had red delicious apples and while I know you’re not supposed to use them in pies, it still turned out good. Here’s how I did it:
Mix the dough (recipe below) and stick it in the freezer for two to four hours. Meanwhile, peel and slice 4-6 apples
Toss the apples with lemon juice, sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Roll out one half of the dough to 1/4 inch thickness and press it into a pie plate. Roll out the other half of dough for the lattice topping. Cut into 1/2-1 inch strips.
Fill the pie crust with the apple filling.
Weave strips into a lattice pattern. Top with egg yolk and milk. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 F and bake 40-45 minutes, until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
Ingredients: (Yield: one 9″ pie)
8 cups peeled and thinly sliced red delicious apples (about 4-6 apples)
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 tbsp. butter
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp. milk
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flours
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. butter, diced
1/2 cup ice water
1) Whisk together flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2) Stir in the ice water slowly. Stir until you have a uniform dough, but don’t over mix it. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
3) Divide the dough in half and roll out one half on a floured surface. Roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. Gently press into into the pie plate and trim excess from the edges. Add filling (see below).
4) Roll out the other half. Use a sharp knife cut into strips about 1/2 inch wide. Weave the strips in a lattice pattern.
5) In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and milk. Brush mixture over top crust.
6) Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 F and bake 40-45 minutes, until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
1) In a large bowl, mix the sliced apples with lemon juice, sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
2) Fill pie crust with filling.
What is your favorite apple pie recipe? Are you a fan of lattice topping or brown sugar crumbs? (I like both!)
Hello! Welcome to the home of practical parenting tips that save you money. I'm Rebecca, the creative mind behind this site.
I am also a professional writer... and I'd be happy to work with you on your next project.
ContactFeel free to contact me at doggonethrifty [at] gmail [dot] com. I'd love to hear from you!